BA-MAP Fast Track
Undergraduate students enrolled in one of the Undergraduate Studies Programs may, with faculty approval, apply as a fast-track candidate for the MA in Clinical Psychology (MAP) or MA in Psychological Studies (MAPS) Program. In addition to working collaboratively with their academic advisor, a student must gain approval from the Undergraduate Studies chair to become a fast-track candidate, prior to applying for the MAP/MAPS program. Provisionally accepted fast-track candidates will enroll in the required 9-12 quarter unit cohort curriculum for entering MAP/MAPS students.
Once successfully completed, these 9-12 units will represent completion of the student’s undergraduate degree. These same units will also apply toward the single integrated MAP/MAPS degree, per the requirements of the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
B.A. in Liberal Studies students are not required to have an major area of concentration in psychology to be accepted into the fast-track option. However, those who apply without a major concentration in psychology will be required to take the PSY 5100 Intro to Psychology course in addition to other required courses before they are fully admitted into the program. (PSY 5100 may be taken prior to entering into the MAP program or in the first quarter of the MAP program.)
Students on academic or any other type of probation are not eligible for the fast track.
In order to be eligible for the fast track, students must have…
- completed at least 33 units needed toward the 45 units Residency Requirement in the Undergraduate Studies Programs;
- completed all math and writing requirements;
- 9-12 quarter units remaining to complete the undergraduate degree;
- all DSST/CLEPS tests completed two quarters before the fast track quarter;
- all prior learning units registered two quarters before the fast track quarter, and completed by the quarter before the fast track quarter;
- completed all non-classroom learning and Domain requirements, with the possible exception of the Social Science domain;
- for BA in Liberal Studies, completed all area of concentration units, with the exception of up to 12 remaining Psychology Concentration units (if they have declared a major area of concentration).
Additionally, Fast Track applicants must understand that…
- in order to qualify for the MAP/MAPS Fast Track program, a student in an AULA undergraduate program must officially apply through the AULA Admissions Office (and follow all of the AULA Admissions Office application guidelines) and be provisionally accepted into the MAP/MAPS program;
- they will be following regular Admissions deadlines and procedures, as outlined by the MAP/MAPS Program. MAP/MAPS applications are due the Monday of week four in the quarter prior to starting the MAP/MAPS Program. It is the student’s responsibility to meet all admissions deadlines and requirements;
- all MAP/MAPS Fast Track students will be required to take the following courses to fulfill the initial 12 units*:
- Society and the Individual - 3 units
- Personality I - 3 units
- Assessment of Psychopathology - 3 units
- Contemporary Aging - 2 units
- An elective workshop – 1 unit
*As noted above, PSY 5100: Intro to Psychology is required in the first quarter only for students who apply without a BA major concentration in psychology and who have not taken the course prior to entering MAP.