If a student believes s/he has been treated wrongly by a staff member, instructor, or an administrator, a grievance procedure exists through which redress may be sought.

For grievances concerning faculty, students are first expected to work with the faculty member, if possible, in an attempt to resolve the grievance. If the grievance is not resolved, the student may present a written complaint detailing the grievance to the Department/Division Chair. This complaint must be filed within one quarter (three calendar months) of the occasion of the grievance. If the student is on leave during the quarter, the complaint must be filed during the quarter in which s/he returns. The Department/Division Chair will investigate and attempt to resolve the situation. The Department/Division Chair will communicate his/her ruling to the student and faculty member in writing within 30 days. Should any party to the grievance feel this resolution to be insufficient, a written complaint should be directed to the Provost/CEO within 10 days. The Provost will investigate and provide a written ruling within 30 days.

For grievances concerning the content or process of evaluations of student academic work, the decision of the Provost shall be final. (See Appeals of Student Learning Evaluations). However, for any other grievances against faculty, the decision of the Provost may be appealed to the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs (VCAA) if any party to the grievance still feels the resolution is insufficient. Written appeal to the VCAA must be made within 10 days; the VCAA will investigate and provide a written ruling within 30 days. This decision will be binding and final.

Grievances against staff should first be discussed with the staff member him/herself, and then with the head of the appropriate department. If resolution is insufficient, the grievance shall be brought, following the same process and timetable as above, first to the Provost, and then, if necessary, to the VCAA, whose decision is final.

A faculty member can bring any grievance on matters within the academic Program in which they teach, by appealing in writing to the Provost, or if resolution is unsatisfactory, to the VCAA of Antioch University.. The grievance will be heard and dealt with in a timely manner at each level, with resolution communicated in writing in a timely manner. Beyond the VCAA, no further appeal is possible.

Should the Department/Division Chair or Provost be personally a party in any grievance, the student or faculty member should direct the appeal to the next level of authority, e.g., the Provost, or the VCAA, respectively. (See Grievance and Conflict Resolution Process.)